The Importance of updating your certification records
Rapid changes in technology and products have changed the methods used in servicing them. By renewing your ETA certification, you provide verification that, as a certified technician, you are keeping up with current technology and enhancing your abilities and knowledge.
In order to comply with ISO 17024 standards, ETA must be able to prove that it can locate and verify the status of each certification holder's information. Many ETA certified technicians have changed addresses, jobs or locations over the years. ETA requests that you regularly update your contact information, experience and education at least annually. With updated information, ETA can ensure that all ETA-certified professionals will receive notification of any changes or updates to the CET program that might affect your certification status. Recertification also helps to keep those records up-to-date. ETA can also provide CET credentials, replacement wall certificates, plaques or wallet cards for a nominal fee. Contact ETA to update your certification records or to request replacement materials.
ETA Certification Maintenance Policies
The date in which you first established your certification determines the rules and process you must follow in order to maintain your ETA certification. The following rules currently apply to all certified individuals who first received their certifications:
Motorola-specific certifications may have additional rules
- December 31, 1995 and earlier - ETA established certifications issued before January 1, 1996 as lifetime certifications. If you received your certification prior to this date, you are not required to maintain it. However, ETA advises that you maintain your certification knowledge and proficiency on a voluntary basis in order to demonstrate your continuing proficiency. If you would like to show that your skills are up-to-date, then you may enter the maintenance program for $50 with employer verification. You will then maintain your certification for only $25 a year with 10 hours of continuing education (or Employer Verification).
- January 1, 1996 and later - To continue compliance with ISO 17024, ETA requires that those receiving their certifications after January 1, 1996 to maintain their certifications on an annual basis. Some certification programs—such as Customer Service Specialist (CSS), Master Certified Electronics Technician (CETma), and Certified Service Manager (CSM)—are not included at this time.
Maintenance vs Maintenance with Hands-On
There are two different maintenance programs-Maintenance and Maintenance with Hands-On. The difference between these two programs is whether or not there is a Hands-On requirement for a particular certification. If your certification requires a Hands-On exam in addition to the regular theory exam, then you will be enrolled in the Maintenance with Hands-On program. If it does not, then you will be enrolled in the general Maintenance program.
What are the requirements for Maintenance and Maintenance with Hands-On?
A late fee may be charged for certifications past their maintenance renewal date.
Additional Maintenance Information For ARINC And SAE Certifications
If an individual has been working in the aerospace fiber optic industry as a fiber optic installer, fabricator, quality assurance, or technician since obtaining certification and can provide written documentation from the employer(s), a recertification exam is required.
If an individual has been working in the aerospace fiber optic industry as an (AFI) fiber optic installer, (AFF) fabricator, quality assurance, or (AFT) technician since obtaining certification and have received 8 or more classroom hours of additional aerospace fiber optic training, only the submission of a recertification application is required. Written documentation from the employer(s) and written documentation for additional training must be included with the re-certification application.
If an individual has not been working in the aerospace fiber optic industry as a fiber optic installer, fabricator, quality assurance, or technician since obtaining certification, the individual will be required to attend an approved aerospace fiber optic course to re-certify.
All persons performing the job defined by their certification for at least 60% of a full-time employee work year will renew their certification annually through the submission of a proficiency verification affidavit. Proficiency verification affidavits will be completed by the employer and submitted to the ETA for renewal.
All certifications will be good for two years from the date of the knowledge and hands-on examinations. All persons not performing the job defined by their certification for at least 60% of a full-time employee work year must re-certify. Persons failing the re-certification practical evaluation must complete certification training as defined in section 6.3.
Upload Certification Maintenance Documents
Did you attend a seminar or training? Send it to ETA to count towards your maintenance! You can upload documents at any time during the year for your certification maintenance. ETA will keep them on file until needed.
What Qualifies for Continuing Education / Certification Maintenance?
In order to receive continuing education credits toward maintaining your ETA certification, you must acquire ten (10) contact hours per year to enhance your current skills and knowledge in your field. You must submit these hours annually to ETA’s headquarters for verification in order to receive credit toward your certification maintenance. When validating your continuing education, list the topic, location, sponsor and date(s).
Would you like to give back to your association and industry? Certification holders can also gain continuing education credits by serving on ETA committees as a Subject Matter Expert, writing an article for the High Tech News, and more!
There are a number of ways to acquire continuing education credits, including:
- Education credits
- Graduation certificates
- College credit transcripts
- Training sessions or courses (completion certificate required)
- Association or manufacturer/supplier-sponsored conferences or seminars (receipt required)
- Military training classes
- Serving on ETA committees as a Subject Matter Expert
- Publication of technical article or research
- Submit an article for ETA's High Tech News magazine. Email the editor for more information at email@example.com
- eITprep online self-study courses
* Some types of classes may not contain sufficient material to qualify for full credit toward continuing education. In those cases, ETA will give individuals a lesser credit for these classes, subject to evaluation.
** Continuing education must be related to an individual's certification(s) being maintained.